Oct 11

Benefits of an Electric Fireplace

I know what your thinking, this should have been the first post on this blog. We are experts in fireplaces, it’s what we are known for. So whether you are new to the market for a fireplace, or you have been doing research for the past two weeks.

It can be a focal point for any room

When you walk into a room, what usually catches your attention? T.V? Piece of Art? Would your rather not want to see a beautiful flame that not only catches your attention but sets the emotion of the room. That’s right a fireplace can be the focal point of any room, and set the mood to be comfortable and cozy or sexy and intimate. Whether it’s placed in your living area, or bedroom, a fireplace can really make your room complete. Most designers pick them as their focal point and than design the room around the fireplace.

It’s more than just a fireplace

Nowadays fireplaces aren’t just boxes with fake flames, they are built into beautiful mantels and even media consoles. Whether your style is traditional, contemporary or modern there are multiple units that will exceed your desires. Media consoles have become a huge part of the living room, since we are consuming so much media, the average household has 4 – 5 different devices directly or indirectly connected to our T.V’s. That’s not the only thing, but piles of games, Blu-ray’s or even CD’s, add in some remotes and you are in need of some storage. This provides you with the ability to purchase a media console to store all your media and devices with the added ambiance of a firebox set in the middle. This all packed into different styles and finishes makes them a great idea for a household.

Not just ambiance, but added warmth

Beyond the ambiance of the firebox, is the comfortable heat features. An electric fireplace wouldn’t be much without heat. The best feature of an electric fireplace is the ability to offer heat but also have the fireplace working without producing heat. Why not have a fire in the middle of summer? Electric fireplaces are a great source of supplemental heat, they can save your heating costs by helping provide heat to a rooms that your using. So by added a little warmth, really makes for a more comfortable home.

Minimal installation and maintenance

Since fireplaces come in many different styles; from mantels, media consoles and fireboxes with trims. Installation can be a breeze, just plug in and your ready to go. If you want a more customized look, you can by the firebox with a trim to install right into your walls. Further to that, maintenance is minimal; regular up keep like any other piece of furniture.

They are better for the environment

Face it, anytime you stop burning natural gases into the air the better it is for all of us. Electric fireplaces use very little electricity and do not produce harmful emissions.

About the Author

Karyn

has written 48 blog posts

I am the Director of New Business Development, responsible for the on-line initiatives for Dimplex North America.

Comments (11)

• Malcolm on October 11th, 2011 at 3:38pm

we have a Dimplex BF33STP / 39 STP fireplace, already installed in our new condo. Are these units supplied for visual effect only without heating elements – our unit has no heater control only power and fan – thanks

• chad on October 11th, 2011 at 5:32pm

Hello Malcolm,

They do offer heat, here is the product description.

Built-in manual switches – main on/off, heater on/off. Unit may also be wired with separate wall switches (not included) to control flame and Purifire operation, and optional wall thermostat to control the heater. Note: please order remote control and/or wall thermostat from the “Options” tab.

The options would have been decided by the builder. You can speak with them about obtaining controls.

• patti andersen on October 15th, 2011 at 1:01am

i love my fireplace and heater, it is a beautiful piece of furniture, and i love the realistic fire effect. I purchased mine second hand from rentacenter several years ago and it has worked really well all this time. Last week the light went out so I can’t use the visual part of the fire place, but everything else works just fine. I’ve tried going to the web site for dimplex to get the manual or the trouble shooting guide but even though they still make the same one that ii have, I can’t get anything from the web site for what to do to make the lights work again. Can anyone help me ??? I’m pretty handy, and I will be hart broken if I can’t get it to work. Is there a fuse some where that could be blown? I have replaced the lights and they
    came on for a minute and then went out again. I checked the bulbs and they are fine.

• chad on October 17th, 2011 at 12:55pm

Hello Patti,

Thanks for your email – you can fill out our contact form that will go directly to our tech services department that can help you with getting the part replaced.

Please fill out all the information as much as possible.

• Benefits of an Electric Fireplace | Dimplex – Dimplex Blog | Marble fireplaces and Fire Surrounds - Marbletech Fireplaces on October 15th, 2011 at 12:10pm

[...] of an Electric Fireplace | Dimplex – Dimplex Blog Leave a comment » Benefits of an Electric Fireplace | Dimplex – Dimplex BlogI know what your thinking, this should have been the first post on this blog. We are experts in [...]

• Carolyn Herrell on October 17th, 2011 at 1:53am

I’ve been looking at these electric fireplaces and I have a real fireplace but it smokes up the house sometimes and messe.I would like to have one so I just need the insert but I would need 33″ logs to look big some I saw at theHearth and Patio in Knoxville TN were in a fake fire place don’t need that so how would that work?

• debbie on October 18th, 2011 at 2:24pm

Hello,
    we have the Synergy wall mount Model # BLF50, i was just wondering if when the heater and fan are turned on, are they energy saver or consumer!
    will my hydro bill go up?

thanks

• chad on October 18th, 2011 at 3:33pm

Hello Debbie,

Yes the product is an energy saver product, your hydro bill will go up, because you are using more power when using the heater and fan elements.

• Ron Alkire on November 14th, 2011 at 10:34pm

We have had a electric stove for probably 5 or 6 years and have had to replace the switches several times. It seems to be a bad design.