Jan 12

Make the Safer Choice – Go Electric

I have noticed that there seems to be more instances and articles lately regarding the unsafe glass temperatures on gas and wood fireplaces. According to federal estimates more than 2,000 children ages five and under have suffered burns from fireplace glass since 1999. This astonishing estimate seemed to have made quite a statement as Consumer reports; CTV News and FairWarning have all issued articles or news programs recently warning and educating consumers about this danger.

In fact, a petition by consumer groups and worried parents has recently been submitted to the Consumer Product Safety Commission urging them to develop a mandatory standard for gas fireplaces that requires a protective barrier or guard for any accessible surface that if contacted is hot enough to cause severe burns.

Did you know that industry standards for gas fireplaces allow the temperature of ceramic glass to reach as high as 1,328°F and tempered or annealed glass can reach over 446°F? I don’t know about you, but these numbers scare me and are not worth the risk even with a possible optional barrier.

Did you also know that electric fireplaces are a much safer alternative as the glass stays cool to the touch while heating a space up to 400 sqft?

I know that I feel safe and at ease in front of my electric fireplace knowing that my 2 year old niece and nephew who tend to touch and investigate everything, can run around my basement rec room and I don’t have to worry about them burning their hands or any part of their precious little bodies on my fireplace.

Is it worth the risk? I don’t believe so, not when there are so many beautiful and safe alternatives in the marketplace.

Make the safer choice – go electric

About the Author

Karyn

has written 48 blog posts

I am the Director of New Business Development, responsible for the on-line initiatives for Dimplex North America.

Comments (4)

  • Paulette Foster on January 18th, 2012 at 11:20pm

    I have an electric fireplace, modle #DF3015 , purchased in August of 2011 that doesn’t blow warm air. It really doesn’t put out any heat at all. What could be the problem?

    • Karyn on January 19th, 2012 at 1:31pm

      Hi Paulette

      Thank you for your question, I am sorry that you are having trouble with your fireplace. Our customer service department has asked that you call them so that they can trouble shoot the problem with you and fix your unit. They can be reached at 1-800-668-6663, they are a great team and will either fix or replace the unit for you, they just need to ask a few questions which are easier to do over the phone while you are in front of your fireplace.

  • Barbara Carmichael on February 19th, 2012 at 7:45pm

    We have a beautiful TV console fireplace purchased in approx Aug 2010. When first installed it was very quiet but as time passes the heater has gotten louder. It makes a cycling motor sound. we have it on daily for heat and ambiance and I find the noise distracting. Is there a solution you can suggest?

    Thanks,
    Barbara

    • chad on February 22nd, 2012 at 1:40pm

      Hello Barbara,

      Thank you for your comment, in order to fully understand your needs and provide help, we will require more information regarding the product, please contact our customer service department directly and they will be happy to assist you. http://dimplex.com/customer_support/contact_us

Leave a comment