Aug 14

The look and feel of a wood burning fire, without the work

Everyone likes the summer for different reasons, whether it is the hot days and cool nights, vacations, pool parties, longer daylights hours or just being able to be outside without having to put on five extra layers of clothes, the summer months usually make people pretty happy.

One of my favorite things about summer is heading up to the lake and sitting around the fire at night, there is something about a fire that seems to calm me. I can’t think of any other thing that I could sit around and stare at for hours without be bored out of my mind, but somehow I can do this with ease around an open fire.

When I bought my first house, I really wanted a wood burning fireplace, perhaps because the family home I grew up in had a wood burning fireplace or the fact that every summer we would rent a cottage for a couple weeks and just enjoy the outdoors. Whatever the reason it brought back a lot of memories, some good, some bad, but memories none the less.

Now it wasn’t until I actually lived away from home and had my own wood fireplace that I started to remember just how much work they were. The memories I had of chopping wood in the backyard and going out in the snow to load up on wood for the night, seemed like a nice family memory, until reality set in and I actually had to do it on my own. It was then that I realized that the memories seemed so nice because I was usually watching from the warmth of the house while my dad and two brothers did all the work. So, my nice little feeling of home around the wood fire quickly diminished when I realized all the work that had to be done, not only chopping the wood and brining it in by the arm full into the house, but cleaning out the ashes (such a messy job), trying my hardest to clean the blackened doors so I could at least see the fire, yearly cleaning on the chimney and of course trying not to burn myself.

It was all this work that made me look into alternative solutions for my fireplace. A gas insert was an option but the cost to convert it over was high and I still had the issue of possibly burning myself as the glass on a gas fireplace gets extremely hot as well.  Electric fireplaces were also an option, they are easier to install, I wouldn’t have to worry about burning myself and the style and technology of electric fireplaces has come such a long way. However I still loved the look and feel of my wood fireplace, so I was extremely happy when I found out that I could have the look and feel that I wanted with the ease and safety of electric.  The Optimyst line of products has been around Europe for quite some time and it is starting to have legs here in North America as well, so when I found out that the Optimyst II product was coming out this fall I was excited to see what it was all about. All I can say is I was not disappointed, the logs are molded from real wood and they pulsate and glow making it seems like they are actually burning, there is a realistic ash mat that I don’t have to clean up and the flame and mist effect makes the entire unit look so convincing, I couldn’t believe it was not a real wood burning fire. One look and I knew I had found the perfect solution for my home and I could once again just sit back and enjoy the fire.

I know that I am a little bias when it comes to this product, but I know you won’t be disappointed either, so I encourage you to check back in a few weeks when the Optimyst II product launches as it really is something you have to see to believe….stay tuned!

About the Author

Karyn

has written 48 blog posts

I am the Director of New Business Development, responsible for the on-line initiatives for Dimplex North America.

Comments (18)

• Jamey on August 20th, 2012 at 9:50pm

This product looks great. Do you know which online distributor carries it? The product is: Open Hearth Insert
    Model # DLG1058

• chad on August 21st, 2012 at 12:10pm

Hello Jamey,

This product will be available in the upcoming months, please keep an eye out in the month of September.

• Rick on September 29th, 2012 at 8:51pm

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and everything. But just imagine if you added some great photos or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this site could certainly be one
    of the most beneficial in its field. Amazing blog!

• chad on October 2nd, 2012 at 12:45pm

Thanks very much for the feedback, we are trying to get more “behind the scenes” images and we are always looking for customer installation images as well.

• Sang on September 29th, 2012 at 10:56pm

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Appreciate it!

• chad on October 2nd, 2012 at 12:46pm

Hello Sang,

I can’t remove you, but you can just click on the button again and remove yourself from the notifications

• Barry on October 5th, 2012 at 1:41pm

I have been keeping an eye on the Optimyst products and was very excited to see the new Model # DLG1058 now available in the United States. However, based on European owners of the Optimyst products, I have two questions and concerns about them. The first is, if the Optimyst is literally approximately a foot from a plasma television, will the released water vapor fog the screen or the TV, or worse, find it’s way inside the electronics on the television and perhaps damage them? The second question is if the water vapor will dampen or create mildew on the whie wall it’s sitting against? Thanks for your assistance.

• chad on October 19th, 2012 at 6:49pm

Hey Barry,

Thank you for your question regarding the Optimyst products. First we would just like to clarify that the DLG1058 is not part of the Optimyst family of products, the DLG1058 is an insert product that uses a projected dancing flame effect with our patented LED inner glow technology to make the log set come to life, there is no mist effect in the DLG1058 as there is with our Optimyst line of products. The newest addition to the Optimyst product line up is model number DLGM29, which is our Optimyst II Insert, this unit has the revolutionary ultrasonic technology that creates the flame and smoke effect as well as the LED inner glow log technology that you have come to expect from a Dimplex Optimyst product. With regards to your question concerning the water vapor, if the unit is placed directly below a television, then there is a possibility that the mist vapor may enter the electric components, therefore it is not recommended that the Optimyst insert be placed directly below a television in an open setting. If the unit is placed in an open space with the recommended clearances then you won’t have any issues with condensation or mildew. As always, it is best to consult the owner’s manual for proper installation instructions before operating the unit or call our customer service department as they can quickly walk you through the installation to ensure you are getting the optimum performance out of your Optimyst product.

• Stacey on October 10th, 2012 at 5:05am

Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be
    waiting for your further post thank you once again.

• Grandid on October 15th, 2012 at 7:45am

I watched a video of this on YouTube. Looks great. Can I order the Optimyst II for home delivery? Does it come in different sizes?

• chad on October 15th, 2012 at 12:16pm

Hello Grandid,

The new OptiMyst II insert only comes in one size. Our online dealers currently don’t stock the item but will be available in the coming weeks.

• Richard Evans on October 25th, 2012 at 11:20pm

Interested in purchasing an electric fireplace insert to convert an existing woodburning fireplace. Heater is not a requirement. Have looked at the following models DLG1106 & DLG1058 and have a question regarding whether they actually display a flame? The pictures on the website for these models do not show a flame where as the other pictures show a flame.
    Could you please clarify as well as indicate were I might inspect the different models – have gone to a several stores in the area but they do not seem to carry these models.

Regards

R Evans

• chad on October 26th, 2012 at 1:22pm

Hey Richard,

The DLG1058 has a “projected” flame – click here to see a picture of the product. The DLG1106 does not have a flame, but the logs have a LED glowing effect.

I would suggest you look at the new Optimyst II DLGM29 insert, it’s our most innovative product and has generated a lot of interest.

You can see all our insert products here – http://dimplex.com/en/fireplaces/inserts/products

Hope this helps

• crystal pictures on November 1st, 2012 at 3:40pm

Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the
    same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
    You have done a extraordinary job!

• Laura on November 5th, 2012 at 4:50pm

My question is regarding the technology of the model DLG1058. The “projected flame” is a mystery to me. Since I don’t see a black background for the flame to project onto connected to the log set, does the flame project onto the back of the existing fireplace itself? Also would you consider the Opti-myst DLGM29 to be superior in regards to the realism over this model. (DLG1058). Many Thanks,

Laura

• chad on November 6th, 2012 at 2:20pm

Hello Laura

The flame is meant to be a mystery… and yes we do believe that Optimyst creates a more realistic flame effect! Technically speaking yes it projects on the existing fireplace.

• Maximo on November 14th, 2012 at 7:38am

Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was super
    long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m
    thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for newbie blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

• harryped.weebly.com on December 16th, 2012 at 11:47pm

I like it when folks come together and share views. Great site, continue
    the good work!