For thousands of years, humans have been drawn to gatherings around the fire. Fire and flames have become universal symbols of welcome and celebration – think of birthday candles, restaurant votives, and summer bonfires! Here are my top tips for making ‘fire’ the centerpiece of your summer celebrations:
- Add oversize candle lanterns to your deck, patio, or balcony, to invite lingering long after dark. There are literally thousands of designs to choose from, in every style and price range. These can do double duty, with citronella candles to keep the bugs at bay.
- Add a firebowl or firepit to your outdoor space. New modern designs go beyond the chiminea and suit even the sleekest outdoor rooms. (Note: check fire regulations in your community, as open fires and firepits are banned in some areas.)
- Add candles to every table setting, indoors and out. Candles symbolize special occasions, and will signal to your guests that your time with them is something you value.
- Add candle stands and wall sconces instead of electric lamps, for more atmospheric lighting when entertaining.
- Add an electric fireplace to your interior gathering spot. With the ability to turn on the flames without turning on the heat, you can create an inviting focal point without overheating. And when the weather turns cooler, the heater will be a welcome addition to any party.